The Friends started as a support group in 1953 to help furnish a reading room for the library. Fund raising was initially accomplished with yearly book sales. These became too popular and unwieldy to handle. In 1991 the Friends opened the Booktique, a used book store. Books are donated to the store and it is staffed by volunteers.
Funds are raised primarily through sales at the Booktique along with dues and donations. Cash grants are awarded to the library twice a year.
For more information about Friends of the Lake Oswego Library, please click on the links to the right.
The Friends' objectives are:
* To support the library’s mission
* To financially support its goals and objectives
* To support programs of long-term impact
* To serve as library goodwill ambassadors
* To publicly and financially support the
construction of a new library